Can't Access DVD-ROM, Inspiron 8100

Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 and am using Gnome (no kde) and the
testing/unstable debian with kernel-source-2.6.6. I'm trying to access the
CD/DVD-ROM in the fixed bay on the box's left side.  The BIOS reports the
optical drive as "DVD-ROM".  I have not changed it since purchase.

There is no /dev/cdrom entry.  I've tried symlinking to all the /dev/hd's.
 I even built in support for SCSI and tried the /dev/sr's.

Can anyone tell me the proper kernel config options and/or what /dev to
point /dev/cdrom to?

Thanks,
Bill