Re: Gigabit Ethernet switch using Linux?

On 2004-03-02T19:15:42-0800, Nano Nano wrote:
> Was going to refer you to the $99 Netgear gigabit 5-port switch at Frys
> (outpost.com), until I saw the $1395 Netgear "Managed gigabit" 12-port
> switch.

I recently got a Compex GSC2008WM for a lot less.  It is a managed 8
port 10/100/1000 switch.

> I have a neighbor who is very knowledable, so I know "it can be worth
> it" -- but can you succinctly explain why?

Tag and port based vlan support was the reason why I bought the
above.  It allows me to run a dual-homed firewall on a single phyiscal
gigabit interface.  It has other features which I do not care about like
trunking (aggregating bandwith using multiple ports) and mirroring of
ports (snooping)

/Allan
--
Allan Wind