Re: how does make-dpkg (and linux/debian) map modules?

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 03:59:16PM -0000, Chris Evans wrote:
> How does Debian (3.0r2 2.4.18 kernel and lilo) find its modules if
> you compile a tweaked kernel?  I'm not getting it right and hope
> someone can help.
>
> TIA,
>
> Chris
>
> Long story:
> I've cracked via-rhine problem I had, now all I need is the get RAID-
> 1 mirroring of the two drives on this machine ....
>
> First thing you need is to have RAID1 support compiled into the
> kernel, not loading from modules.  Seems reasonably simple, I'm using
> the 2.4.18-bf2.4 default kernel image at present so I've:
> got the kernel source: /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18 (bunzipped & tar
>    -xvf etc)
> got the kernel headers which I'd got as kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4
> when I was working on the via-rhine driver issue
> cd /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18
> make menuconfig (and put RAID and RAID1 into the kernel with "Y"s)
> make deps
> make-kpkg clean
> make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0RAID kernel_image
> dpkp -i ../ ... .deb
>
> I move /lib/modules/2.4.18 to 2.4.18old as suggested during this
> process ... do the lilo bit  and reboot ... and linux can't find
> modules it wants ...

What are the errors you are seeing?  IIRC all the module dependency
should be handled automatically, but if something is broken maybe you
need to manually do a "depmod -a"?

> If I rename the old /libmodules back again: no improvement.

This is all in changing from a working 2.4.18 kernel to the custom
2.4.18 with RAID, correct?  Did you miss any config differences in
rebuilding (The easiest is to start with the working system config and
then add the changes you want.)

You might also want to look into using kernel flavors (see the
"--append-to-version" discussion in kernel-package).  This may help you
while you are getting things working.

HTH

--

Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.