Re: serving CUPS printer over Samba to win98 client [SOLVED]

On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 02:43:32PM -0400, ScruLoose wrote:
> Hehe!  Well, /var/spool/cups did not make it happy...
> What I ended up doing was copying the entire printers section from an
> example smb.conf file like so:
> [printers]
>         comment = All Printers
>         path = /var/spool/samba
>         browseable = no
>         public = yes
>         guest ok = yes
>         writable = no
>         printable = yes
>         printer admin = root
>
> And then I removed "path = /var/spool/cups" from the global section
> (dunno how it got there in the first place...)
> Created /var/spool/samba and gave it permissions of rwx for *everybody*.
> I realize that's a dirty hack, and as soon as I figure out what user and
> group samba runs as, i'll fix up the ownership and permissions on that.
>
> In the mantime, however, my girlfriend's win98 box is printing quite
> happily to the 'raw' version of the printer, using hp's fancy-shiny
> Windows driver stuff, so I have a 'known good' configuration to fall
> back on if & when my experiments break it again.

Hi,

Sorry, I didn't reply to the previous posts, I was gone for a few
days...

Anyway, great it works! If you're still interested in tweaking it a
bit... here we go:

You do NOT need to install a 'raw' version of your printer. As you
already mentioned, the 'cups' version appears in the shares list on the
windows box. Samba, AFAIK, _always_ will use a raw channel between the
windows box and the printer. So just having cups support should do it.

Again, as you already mentioned, the problem was not with the printer
drivers, but with the spool directory. You have set your printers now to
publicly available and a spool directory /var/spool/samba.

I have the following lines:

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = no
   path = /tmp
   printable = yes
   public = no
   writable = no
   create mode = 0700

As you see, no guests are allowed, and it is not a public service. I
have /tmp as a spool directory (why not?). The mode of the spool files
is 0700, which seems right to me.

Have fun,

David