Re: what is this error message?

On Fri, 2 May 2003 11:23:46 -0700
Ben Hartshorne <debian_user@green.hartshorne.net> wrote:

> I put "Apt::Default-Release='stable'" along with the testing listings in
> /etc/apt/sources.list.  I did it to get bogofilter.  About 6 extra
> packages came along (I think libc6 2.2 was one of them) but the system
> seemed perfectly happy to keep both libc6s around.
>
> I havn't seen any problems.
>
> Is there something lurking that's going to bite me?

Yes, there is; it just hasn't bitten you yet. But if you continue to install
testing/unstable packages on a stable system sooner or later it will bite,
and maybe hard.

If you want to try this, be sure you have good up-to-date backups.

The problem is that some stable programs will not run with testing/unstable
libc6. If you get a testing/unstable package and it installs the
testing/unstable libc6 to satisfy its dependencies, you could be in hot
water.

> p.s.  what are the backport packages called, and how does one find them
> (for something like bogofilter, for example)?

Backport packages won't be in the Debian archive, so you find them by asking
Google or asking here. www.apt-get.org has a list of unofficial
repositories. If the packages work and they're widely used someone here will
be able to tell you where to find them.

Kevin