Re: vga in lilo

On Thu, 1 May 2003 14:22:26 +0200
Pierre Burri <pierre@globeall.de> wrote:

> I'd like to use the option VGA=791 or (VGA=0x317) in lilo.conf to get
> smaller console fonts at boot time. I recompiled the kernel 2.4.20 of
> Debian Sid (with make-kpkg) because I needed ipsec. Since then, the option
> VGA doesn't work anymore, the kernel boots fine but all the consoles stay
> black. Does anyone know how to resolve that? I would greatly appreciate
> some help.

In the "Console drivers" section of the kernel config you need to enable
"VGA text console" and "Video mode selection support".

In the "Framebuffer support" submenu you need to enable "Support for frame
buffer devices", "VESA VGA graphics console", "Advanced low level driver
options", and support for 8, 16, 24, and 32 bpp packed pixels. (You may not
need all four of those.)

I don't have anything else enabled and mine works fine. You may be able to
use the support for your chipset if it's on the menu.

Kevin