Re: WindowMaker startup

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 01:51:12AM -0700, Wm. G. McGrath wrote:
> I've a new install of Potato and the boot process concludes by
> launching X, the Debian screen with the marble and the red squiggle,
> and giving me a WindowMaker desktop. At startup I just want to boot
> into the command line. If I need X I'll launch it manually with
> startx. How do I disable the automatic launching of X?

You have a display manager installed - probably xdm or gdm. You could
just remove that package if you don't want to use it. Alternatively,
look in the /etc/rc2.d directory where you'll find an S99gdm (etc.)
link; move that to s99gdm (lower-case s) to cause the display manager
not to be automatically started at boot-time.

Cheers,