newbie question (wireless)

Hi all I'm extremely new to Linux in any form and I was wondering if anyone can help. I have just installed debian 3 with the 2.4 kernel and everything is fine except for my wireless card. I have a elan Ricoh chipset pci to pcmcia adapter and an enterasys cabletron card. The system installs it at boot and it beeps twice but ifconfig shows no eth1 and iwconfig just shows no wireless extensions for lo and eth0. how do I get the system to recognise it and give it an ip, netmask and ssid etc. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Regards Pat