chroot and passwd/group ?! userids lookup does not work!!

hello,

i have installed a chrooted cvs on an linux machine!

works so fare, except that the fake-passwd and -group files
seems to be not recognized/used.

background:

i have a user <developer> on an linux machine. this users shell
is a smrsh, which i have compiled in order to only allow commands
from a specific location. inside this command-dir i have a
(cvs-)wrapper, that is doing the chroot(). (the wrapper is attached!)

if i commit changes to my cvs repository, e.g. through a wincvs
client, the authors name is not equal with the username of my
user <developer>. instead it is his userid!

i have copied the real passwd, shadow, group and gshadow files to
	<chrooted-dir>/etc

nevertheless, they seem to be used!

thanks in advance, leif