Re: Console login prompt & other basics

On Mon, 01 Jul 2002 16:28:11 -0500, Kent West wrote:

>Venkatesh, PC wrote:

<snip>

>> 5.  Overall, what would help me are: (i) some notes on Debian's installation
>> "rules", logic, etc; (ii) features unique to Debian vis-a-vis other Linux
>> distros; (iii) following up on (ii), notes on configuration, startup
>> scripts---location; whether they  deviate from other Linux distros [as seems
>> to be with xdm above], etc.  E.g., the "User Guide" [under books] seemed
>> pretty helpful, but was no help in my problem with the Potato release.
>
>Potato is old, very old. Unless you have some reason not to, I'd
>recommend that you upgrade to Woody (or even Sid, if you don't mind
>getting bloody every once in a while). The rest of this question is
>pretty involved; think I'll leave it for someone else to tackle.

Debian tries very hard to put things in the Right Place (tm), adhering
to "Filesystem Hierarchy Standard" <http://www.pathname.com/fhs/>.  This
should be distribution agnostic.  For further reading on FHS, see ch.
35, "Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition" by Sheer.  This is also
available online at http://rute.sourceforge.net/.  Sheer is kind to
Debian, calling it clean, logical and easy to use.  He seems to think
that apt is the best thing since sliced bread.

--
gt
It is interesting to note that as one evil empire (generic) fell,