Re: safe load average

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 03:25:47PM -0500, Ron wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-05-08 at 14:33, Seneca wrote:
> [snip]
> > > What services is that system running?  It sounds like you're trying to
> > > push the machine way too far.  How powerful is it (CPU, RAM)?
> >
> > This system is my most powerful one. It's a P100 with 16M RAM and 100M
> > swap. (but I have my eye on a P133 with 96M RAM that is laying unused in
> > the basement... and the other two unused systems that mom won't let me
> > have (for some reason she considers my current 3 systems to be too
> > many))
> >
> > Currently I am running X, cardmgr (this is a laptop after all), getmail,
> > exim, netscape (I would prefer not to, but I need javascript and java
> > support to connect to the proxy, and mozilla is massive), dictd, cron,
> > and lpd. The stuff that I am using is mutt, vim, lynx, garlic, xcircuit,
> > gnuplot, and sometimes playmidi. (not counting countless compiles of
> > homework for computer science, a class where the teacher gives bonus
> > marks for "features" such as confirmation messages, and GUI messes)
>
> Jiminy Crickets!  No matter what GUI you use, that box isn't built
> for graphics.  Still, hope you are using X3.3.6 + xfce.

xfce, I don't use it. When I was looking at window managers, it's
depends line seemed a bit large, and it has features that I wouldn't
use. As of now, my favourite window manager is lwm.

> Do you need dictd, lpd, getmail and exim running all the time?  Save
> some RAM/swap by manually running them only when needed.  Yes, that's
> a pain, but sacrifices must be made when resource-constrained.

They're not always running now.

> Vim is pretty darned big.  How about elvis?  Also, do you work off-
> line at all?  How about stopping cardmgr when off-line?  Is pine
> smaller than mutt?

Actually, I'm thinking of changing over to ed. Really. On my other
systems (DOS) I spend my time in edlin. And I like the user interface.
cardmgr stays on all the time. If it stops, no more ethernet, no more
cdrom. And I don't know about pine.

> On Sunday, cook your mother a nice dinner, and give her a sappy card.
> THEN ask for the P133!

I already tried that on her birthday, besides, I'm out of town on
sunday.

> P.S. - Confirmation messages are not a "feature"!

They are when they meet the teacher's specifications: written in java,
use AWT, are a class, and use buttons, frames, and the appropriate
listeners. Each time one comes up in my testing of my programs, there is
about two minutes of swapping. Give me a command line anyday.

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com