Re: cleanup of /usr/local

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 09:25:27PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
| On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 15:10:59 -0400, Nick Guerrera wrote:
| > I would like to clean (i.e. "rm -fr") my /usr/local directory. However,
| > several packages (emacs, python, tex, etc.) create useful empty
| > directories in /usr/local.
|
| I thought that packages shouldn't use /usr/local.

They aren't allowed to.  There are some good exceptions, I think.
Python is the one I am familiar with.  The python packages create
empty /usr/local/lib/python$VER/site-packages directories and include
that in $PYTHONPATH.  This allows you to drop-in non-packaged modules
and they'll automatically work.  Also, since that directory precedes
/usr/lib/python$VER/site-packages, you can override standard modules
with your own.  It is a Good Thing.  No problems will be caused if
that directory is "missing", and dpkg won't remove it if it isn't
empty (say you install something there and then remove the python
package).

-D

--

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to
look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from