Re: Wal-Mart PCs revisited

On Wed, 1 May 2002, craigw wrote:

> > Better still, purchase a better modem at WalMart, put the sound card
> > claiming to be a modem in the modem box, and return it saying it was
> > defective for a refund.  Break even.
> >
> LOL
> I love it! That's a good one.

I used to do that with the Wilsonville Fry's, except it was AGP video
cards for CGA and EGA adapters we had piled up.  I did it three or four
times over the years, my roommates have all done it...you'd think they'd
check the box.  But I guess it's a vicious circle, since often times
those boxen with the exchanged cards are put back on the shelf, so
someone else has to legitimately exchange for the real thing.

> I haven't used a modem in years, and last time I bought a custom box I
> told them to leave the modem out. Hell, I figure ten bucks is ten bucks,
> right, and I'll never use the thing.

I exchanged for a NIC.

--
Baloo