Re: wwwoffle loading Newbie #61

On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 04:45:12PM -0500, Brenda J. Butler wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 09:14:39PM +0000, Pollywog wrote:
> > OR, preferably, remove the startup links with
> >
> > update-rc.d -f wwwoffle remove
> >
> > The second approach at least allows you to stop or start wwwoffle manually.
>
> Well, the update-rc.d man page says that this will only work if
> /etc/init.d/wwwoffle has also been removed.

The -f switch to update-rc.d, as supplied above, overrides this sanity
check.

> Anyone, wtf is this wwwoffle thing anyway?  I don't have a man
> page or an info page for it, and there is nothing in /usr/share/doc.

The package appears to contain a number of man pages and substantial
documentation in /usr/share/doc/wwwoffle. It sounds like you've removed
the package.

> And why can't we uninstall it without also uninstalling
> task-dialup (via apt-get remove)?  Does anyone have any
> advice on this?

The dialup task includes wwwoffle, and therefore task-dialup depends on
it. Removing the task-dialup package is harmless. The confusion you're
experiencing here is one of the reasons why, in woody, tasks are no
longer managed with packages and dependencies in this way.

> Hmm, maybe it's being triggered by ip-up.  Ian, look in
> your /etc/ppp/ip-up.d directory for a related script.

The package does seem to have ip-up and ip-down hooks.