Re: Newbie comments & queries

Thus spake Ian Balchin:
> Where has my floppy drive gone? I can find it nowhere. I can find no command in
> mc to change drive (come back PCTools, all is forgiven!) There is nothing in
> /floppy and nothing in /dev/fd

Peripherals - floppy, CD-ROM, etc usually aren't mounted automatically
on boot, so you have to explicitly mount them when you put a disk into
them.  mount /floppy should be enough, if your fstab and such is set
normally.

> I have 16Mb Ram.  according to top I have 13.7 of which 11.8 is used and 1.9
> free. Where has this all gone! I am not doing anything yet.

Unlike DOS, the console environment of Linux is actually doing quite a
bit - all the programs currently running are listed in the output of
top.  Don't worry about the high percentage of memory used - Linux seems
to like to use memory if it's there, but swaps it fast enough when it
needs to.  Don't know what happened to the missing 2.3 Mb though.
Steve

--
We fight only when there is no other choice.  We prefer the ways of
peaceful contact.