How to confirm ncurses installed properly

Guys:

I'm really new to Debian, trying to set my Debian VM up with NFS to
access my RH host.

In doing so, I need to configure the kernel for NFS support.

To run "make menuconfig" (I don't have X installed), I need ncurses
installed.  I've just run through dselect & thought I installed ncurses
along with lots of other stuff from a CD set.  But when I run "make
menuconfig" in /usr/src/linux, I get the following error -

>> Unable to find the ncurses libraries.
>> You must have ncurses installed.....

make[1]:  *** [ncurses] Error 1....

I checked for ncurses libraries; in /lib, I found -

libncurses.so.4, libncurses.so.4.2, libncurses.so.5, libncurses.so.5.0 .

Is this what's supposed to be there?

--
regs
rupert