Re: kernel 2.4.10 and linus vs ac VM?

* Thomas Zimmerman (thomas@zimres.net) wrote:
> On 30-Sep 07:44, Randolph S. Kahle wrote:
> > I am confused about the state of the 2.4.10 kernel.
> >
> > It seems that there are two VMs that are going to "fight it out" moving
> > forward: the original one (in the ac line of code) and a new one (in the
> > main line of code).
> >
> > Before this became clear, I was planning to move up to 2.4.10 from 2.4.4
> > as it seemed that things were converging to a stable core.
>
> Things are getting much more stable. Drivers especially. Linus seems to be
> willing to work on core stuff still...
>

> > Can someone help me understand if I should move to the new VM or just
> > wait for this to all get sorted out? What is being done for the next
> > release of Debian? (I'm running 2.2r3 with Adrian Bunk's 2.4 packages).
>
> I would say move the either of the two VM's in 2.4.10[-acX]. There are some
> real problems with the VM in 2.4.X (X<9) and interactions with other
> subsystems. Things should really settle down once 2.5 starts. If you follow
> lkml, there seems to be a fare amount of stuff that wants in NOW, and
> conservatives think that makes the "stable" kernel more "unstable". Given
> that some kernels haven't build w/o patch in a quick pre patch, I think the
> conservatives are gloating. :)
>
> Thomas
> PS: I have no idea where debian is going...I just follow it around.

  I'll second that. I got a noticable performance boost and much better
swap handling out of 2.4.10. It compiled cleanly and hasn't given me any
trouble, yet. YMMV of course.

 Alex.

My PGP public key can be found at http://www.tagancha.org/pgp
---------------- Public key ID and fingerprint -----------------
pub  1024D/6C5F196B 2001-08-17
Oleksandr V. Moskalenko (Alex) <malex@tagancha.org>
Fingerprint = EE63 C471 ADBA 5D80 ADFB  1054 DA28 6F32 6C5F 196B