Re: Installing vimtutor help file

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 02:14:54AM -0400, Steve Dondley wrote:
> Background:
> I just installed vim-rt on my system.  When I'm in the vimtutor tutorial and
> try to obtain help by pressing F1 or with the :help command (per instruction
> in section 7), I'm told that the help file,
> /usr/share/vim/vim56/doc/help.txt, cannot be found.
>
> Question:
> How do I install this single file from the installation CDs?

Hmm, check the path under /usr/share/vim/. The file is probably
compressed ("help.txt.gz"), but vim should be able to handle that fine
provided it knows to accept <file>.gz as a target.  There should be a
file (or a symlink) /usr/share/vim/vimrc that contains a line like:

  set helpfile=$VIMRUNTIME/doc/help.txt.gz

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>