Re: Shutdown/switching computer power off automatically ?

On Thu, 3 May 2001, Nathan E Norman wrote:

> On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 07:56:19AM +0700, Oki DZ wrote:
> > Darren Wyn Rees wrote:
> > > What is Linux Mandrake doing differently, say compared with a recent
> > > Debian, which just hangs at "power down/off" ?
> >
> > The difference is on the setting of the kernel.
> > I use Debian and my system get powered off after "poweroff" command; of
> > course, the feature came after I had recompiled the kernel.
> >
> > BTW, I think it would be nicer if all the Linux distros assume that all
> > Intel motherboards are ATX. How many bytes would get added if you have
> > the APM support on the kernel?
>
> Well, this distro _does_ include APM support compiled into the kernel.
> However, that support is turned off by default because it's insane to
> not support the least common denominator.
>
> If you read the thread you'll see lots of folks suggesting the
> "apm=on" append line or kernel boot argument ... that turns on the APM
> support that's in the stock kernel :)
>
> In short, you didn't have to recompile the kernel to get APM, though
> there are plenty of good reasons to compile your own kernel IMO.

It looks like you have to recompile the kernel to get that feature.  I
use kernel-image-2.4.4-1 (supposedly unstable package ported to
potato) and it does not seem to have apm support enabled.

root@ping:~# apmd
No APM support in kernel

"dmesg" doesn't show any apm related messages.  Yes, I could recompile
the kernel but I really don't like doing that when I administer a
large number of not very identically configured systems. It seems to
be very inflexible having to recompile the kernel just to get
poweroff to work.

-akop