Holding packages w/o dselect

I've looked through the help screens and man pages of both dpkg and
apt-get and I can't find anything that will let me place a package version
on hold using these tools.  I'd like to avoid using dselect if possible
since a) the structure of the categorys is at times unintutive, and b) the
last time I wen't int there is screwed up some dependancys and I got stuck
in an infinate dependancy conflict resolution.  Don't want to go through
that again.

--
Till Later,
Jake