ps2-mouse problem

I want to replace my serial mouse with a ps2 mouse in order to make a
second serial port available (I could solve the problems when I tried to
use a second serial card to provide two extra serial ports).

The ps2 mouse is recognized by the MSDOS-software.  On Linux, I started by
configuring gpm to refer to /dev/psmouse.  After that, as soon as I move
the mouse, the keyboard stops working and I have to reset the computer.  I
did not even have the chance to try the mouse in XF86Config.

Do I have to recompile the kernel to use a ps2 mouse?  How can the mouse
disable my keyboard?

I have a  mixed slink/potato system.

Any hints will be welcome.
--
Johann Spies,Windsorlaan 19, Pietermaritzburg, 3201, South Africa
Tel/Faks 033-346-1310 Sel/Cell 082-255-2388