Re: LILO and Multiple Disks

I believe you need to use the "map-drive" option in the lilo.conf file
to tell Lilo that you want to swap the drives when you boot Windows. I
seldom do this myself, as it's more straight forward to just have
Windows on the primary/master drive to begin with.

Here's what I think the Win98 section of your /etc/lilo.conf file should
look like to do what you want:

#Win98
other=/dev/hdd1
  label=Win98
  table=/dev/hdd
  map-drive = 0x80              # Logically swap the drives so that when
they
    to = 0x83                   #  are accessed via the BIOS, the second
drive
  map-drive = 0x83              #  will appear as the first and the
first as
    to = 0x80

Since your Windows drive will still be /dev/hdd when you run the lilo
installer, you want to leave the other= and the table= entries alone.
However, when you boot with Lilo, it depends on the BIOS to identify the
drives - so the map-drive lines will now make your Windows drive
/dev/hda, and your Linux drive /dev/hdd based on the following:

/dev/hda = 0x80		primary/master
/dev/hdb = 0x81	        primary/slave
/dev/hdc = 0x82		secondary/master
/dev/hdd = 0x83	        secondary/slave

Like I said, I seldom do this myself, but I think this is correct. If
not, I'm sure someone else will chime in. The map-drive option is
covered in the Lilo manual, which you can find at
/usr/doc/lilo/Manual.txt.gz, or possibly
/usr/share/doc/lilo/Manual.txt.gz if you're running potato.

Tom