Re: local mirror of potato?

On 1 Jan 2000, Francois Deppierraz wrote:

 : Robert L. Harris <nomad@rnd-consulting.com> wrote:
 :
 : > care if I mirror certain things.  Where, how would I mirror a potato
 : > site so I can tar the files up, put em on  a few zip disks to take
 : > home and un-tar to do an dist-upgrade?  Anyone doing this?  Can you
 :
 : You can use the programm mirror which you can find at
 : http://sunsite.org.uk/packages/mirror/ and you can use the config files
 : avaiable in the debian package.

This is true.  It's also (IMO) bad advice - mirror sucks for any number
of reasons.

1) It's slow.

2) It beats the hell out of the client.

3) It beats the hell out of the server.

4) It doesn't always do the right thing (it makes mistakes).

A better idea would be to install the `rsync' package and find a debian
mirror which offers anonymous rsync access.  You can find rsyncable
mirrors by reading http://www.debian.org/mirror/mirrors_full

HTH,

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD