Re: [A try again . . .] Mail Server

On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Julian Gilbey wrote:

> Hello List !
>

> 1. What is the best mail software for Redhat ?
> INFO : The mail server has to be SMTP / POP3 and WILL have a very nasty
> load of users.

I would say qmail 1.03 :)

> 2. What would be the best platform for this server ?
> INFO : We currently have COMPAQ Proliant's ranging from the 1600 to 7000

Does not really matter.

> (Dual Processors).
>
> 3. What would be the best kernel for a vast majority of user load ?
> INFO : I am looking at 14.000 users, sending and recieving mail

That's not really that much for qmail :)

> 4. What kind of software would be the best for fault tolerant systems ?
> INFO : If server A falls down, then server B takes over.

qmail for both. drop sendmail that's the only trick :)

you can ask for help concerning qmail on the following lists:

qmail discussion list:      qmail@list.cr.yp.to
debian related qmail list:  qmail@planetsites.com

Robert Varga