Re: new hard drive install

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, charles kaufman wrote:

> Hi
> > Not necessary. Recently i repartitioned my HD, moved Linux from hda2 to
> > hda1. Never had any trouble after i restored my filesystem from backups
> > and reran lilo (after editing lilo.conf and fstab)
>
> I did almost that. Instead of restoring from backups I had the old and
> the new hard drives mounted at the same time and used cpio.
> Did you have to tell the kernel where the new swap partition was?

i had two hard drives, but the one i was repartitioning had the entire
Linux installation on it at the time. So i tar-gzipped everything to the
other drive (which fortunately had the space), popped in my old hamm
installation floppy, repartitioned, used zcat and star off the
floppy--fortunately i had tarred / into a separate tarball from /usr and
other unessential stuff, because that tarball was the only one star
managed to handle! i then resolved to make a new boot disk for myself one
of these days ;)

Didn't have to tell the kernel that either... i used the "initialize swap
partition" option on the installation floppy when i was repartitioning,
then just changed fstab.