Re: Gnus for mail: How do I setup my system.

Johann Spies <jhspies@alpha.futurenet.co.za> writes:
| I have heard that I can use gnus for handling my mail.  I have looked at
| the huge amount of documentation on gnus mainly dealing with the reading
| of news.  I do not want to use gnus for that as I am reading my news
| offline using slrn.

You can certainly use gnus to read news offline using SOUP. I don't
know much about it though so perhaps someone else can comment.

There's also a much more sophisticated and easy way to do it with gnus
Agent. Again, I'm not that familiar with it but it looks like it's
pretty extensively covered in the gnus manual. Just go to the Index
and search for the "Agent" topic. It also looks like it's extremely
easy to use.

My own personal opinon is that if you're not going to use gnus for
News then it'd probably be better to use something else for email as
well. One of the advantages of using gnus is that you can have a nice
consistent interface for News and email. That and about a gazillion
other feature that make gnus one of the most powerful News/Email
handlers I've ever seen!

| The message-mode seems to have very few mail handling facilities.

Are you using GNU/Emacs or XEmacs? I don't remember if GNU/Emacs comes
with TM. TM certainly works with either of them, though it's included
as part of XEmacs by default. Anyway, message-mode in conjunction with
TM, which is a MIME handling system, can do anything I can possibly
think of. It's not a nice point-n-click type system, but then it can
be a lot more powerful than such systems too.

| Can somebody direct me on how te setup gnus for email?

That sorta depends on how you want to handle mail. In my opinon, the
best mail backend in gnus is "nnml". It's basically a system where
each folder corresponds to a directory (~/Mail by default) and each
message within a folder is in it's own file. If you want to use this
backend then the steps are simple:

1) Create a file called ~/.gnus.el
2) Add the following line to that file:
	(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")))

I think that's it. You may have to run nnml-generate-nov-databases,
but I think that's only necessary if you've got old mail you want to
"import" into gnus.

Oh yes, if you just want to read email then you invoke gnus as:
	gnus-no-server

Of course there are a TON of other options for customizing things
beyond this. You'll have to read the manual unless you have something
specific you can ask about.

| Can gnus handle aliases of a group of people?

Yes, it reads the aliases from ~/.mailrc.

| I use fetchmail and procmail with pine at the moment on a dialup system to
| my ISP. My problem is that Pine's "Sender" - field causes some spam
| filters to reject my mail because Pine puts my hostname there and that is
| not a valid internet address.
[signature that's longer than the rest of the article snipped]

Are you sure it's pine putting that "Sender:" header in there and not
your MTA? I know on my Linux box that smail puts the sender line in
there, not my mailer (gnus).

If you're using procmail to filter mail then you'll need to read the
gnus manual on how to handle that. Personally, I use procmail to
separate mail into two categories, mail from lists, and mail from
everything else, then I let gnus split that up into groups.

Again, you'll have to be more specific if you want more specific help.

Gary