Re: Diskless Debian, Shared /usr, etc...

Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> I've been playing with this recently; I have a whole lot of motherboards
> and net cards which I want to use to get some parallel processing happening.
>
> I suggest the NFS-Root and NFS-Root-Client mini-howtos. What I have
> ended up doing is creating a tree with just enough of /bin, /sbin/,
> /etc, /var and /tmp to boot up in it, then the client will mount
> the server's /bin, /sbin, /home and /usr over the top. I have about 3.5mb
> per client and I am hoping to thin this out some more. (Unfortunately,
> the startup scripts require bash, and bash + libreadline + curses etc
> are huge.) This way I have effectively got a Debian system remotely,
> although it can't be used for package installation/deinstallation etc
> of course because /usr is readonly, and /var and /etc are machine-specific.

An alternative is to use the nametrans patch for the kernel (I think this
has actually been integrated into the 2.1.x kernel). This lets you nfs mount
server:/ on the clients at their root directory. The few files
(/etc/hostname, /etc/init.d/network, etc) that need to be different for each
computer are given special names, like /etc/init.d/network#HOST=foo#, and the
client named foo will see that file as /etc/init.d/network.

This simplifies administration a lot - you only have to install everything
once and it's visible to all your computers. It also uses only a few extra K
per client.

--
see shy jo