Miscellaneous and security

I am a new Debian user. I actually have been using Linux for a while. I
have some questions.

Is there some way to unpack a Debian package in a place different than
the target directories, e.g. /tmp? The aim is just to look at the files
belonging to the package.

Is there some way, maybe using dpkg, to check the integrity of the
installed files. Put in other words, how can I check that some
executables have not been replaced by some malicious users.

I have found some log files in /var/log that are readable by anybody.
Maybe they are not particularly critical. I want anyway to change their
permissions, for instance to 640, for the owners root.adm. Will be the
permissions kept by the logrotate program?

Thank you in advance for your attention.

--
                                                Mario

Contrary to popular belief, Unix is user friendly,