Unidentified subject!

Subject: Re: emacs and .Xdefaults
From: Sten Anderson <sten@bergsoe.k-net.dk>
Date: 05 Dec 1997 12:17:43 +0100

Gilbert Laycock <gtl1@mcs.le.ac.uk> writes:

> Kirk> I just made a new installation of bo, and emacs no longer seems to
> Kirk> read my ~/.Xdefaults file like it used to in rex.
>
> Shouldn't it be called ~/.Xresources ?

Yes

> Personally I have the two filenames symbolic linked together, because
> some X installations I use seem to like one and some like the other.
>
> Debian seems to only use .Xresources.

Debians preferences can be revealed by reading the file
"/etc/X11/Xsession"

Here are the relevant parts:

##############

sysresources=/etc/X11/Xresources
usrresources=$HOME/.Xresources

##############

if [ -f $sysresources ]
then
  xrdb -merge $sysresources
fi

##############

if grep -q ^allow-user-resources /etc/X11/config
then
  if [ -f $usrresources ]
  then
    xrdb -merge $usrresources
  fi
fi

> I have seen some installations of X that distinguish between the two
> names, along the lines of ~/.Xdefaults will completely override the
> system wide xrdb settings whereas ~/.Xresources will be merged with
> the system ones. (Or was it the other way around?)

This doesn't apply to Debian

- Sten Anderson