Re: xdm background image

On Sat, 4 Oct 1997, Paul Miller wrote:

> Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 16:11:25 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Paul Miller <paul@3dillusion.com>
> To: Debian User <debian-user@lists.debian.org>,
>     Linux Admin <linux-admin@vger.rutgers.edu>
> Subject: xdm background image
>
> How can I display a background image (gif/jpg) on the xdm login prompt?

I have this line in my /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0:

/usr/X11R6/bin/xv -root -rmode 6 -rfg "#0000FA"
	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/linux-logo-2.0.gif -quit

Obviously, you may want to remove it once a user logs in, just in case he
did not set any particular background that will do this. So I added this
line in my /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession:

/usr/X11R6/bin/xsetroot -gray

Following this method, you can also easily create animated login
backgrounds, by calling any suitable program (i. e., all those nifty
screen savers); in this case what you have to put in /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession
is a coomand that will kill the program displaying the animated
background.

Remember that many programs which look nice on the screen also burn lots
of CPU cycles. If your users rely on CPU time being available also when
they are not logged in (i. e., they run background, CPU-bound programs),
although nice, they may not be a good idea.