Re: is the Creative Labs AWE64 GOLD Soundcard supported?

On Sat, Oct 04, 1997 at 04:35:21PM -0800, Britton wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Oct 1997, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 04, 1997 at 11:28:24AM -0800, Britton wrote:
> >
> > > What you want is awedrv, which is available as a debian source package.
> > > Trouble is, it won't compile as a module, which I think means you have to
> > > use initrd to run isapnp before it will work.  I've read the initrd stuff,
> >
> > You HAVE to install it as a module, because isapnp must be started first,
> > and then the sound module has to be installed. In fact, isapnp will be
> > started automagically by the current initrd scripts, so you have just to
> > install it, and add two entrys two the isapnp config file (mail me for more
> > info).
>
> I believe I have isapnp.conf set up correctly in /usr/local as I needed to
> use it (and a modularized version of the SB 16 driver) to get any sound at
> all.  However...
>
> When I selected the additional low level drivers option and then the awe
> driver option, and compile, I didn't find anything in
> /usr/src/linux/modules, where the sound module always showed up before.
> Have you actually found this file there?  Whould the option for the awedrv
> even show up in 'make menuconfig' if there was a problem with the included
> patching script? (I assumed it would not, and the script did not report
> any problems).

Mmmh. I use the kernelpackage, and it installed the file "sound.o" just
under /lib/modules/2.0.29/misc, where it belongs to... no problems at all.

Are you sure you choosed the awe driver as a module? Are you sure you did
the kernel compile right? Try using the kernel-package from debian.

Marcus

--
"Rhubarb is no Egyptian god."
Marcus Brinkmann