Re: I just can't get 1.3 to work using dselect....

Hi Tom,

first of all I didn't see your reply on the list. To get as many people
involved in helping with your problem it is really a good thing to
discuss on the list - otherwise people simply don't hear you.

By now, I'm getting the feeling that something with your set is horribly
broken - your hardware or the software/installation.

I think, however, we can focus on the gcc + cpp + libraries region for
now, because I get the impression that dselect's install only fails
because of reasons related to these packages.

I'm going to show you the correct lines under dselect's select for the
involved packages. Please compare them to what you get and maybe you
could post the differences (or everything):

 *** Std devel    gcc          2.7.2.1-9   2.7.2.1-9   The GNU C
compiler (ELF v
 *** Std interpre cpp          2.7.2.1-8   2.7.2.1-8   The GNU C
preprocessor (E
 *** Req base     ldso         1.8.10-2    1.8.10-2    The Linux dynamic
linker,
 *** Req base     libc5        5.4.23-6    5.4.23-6    The Linux C
library versi
 *** Std devel    libc5-dev    5.4.23-6    5.4.23-6    The Linux C
library versi

Oh, and you are absolutely right, it should really be easy to install a
Debian system and it nearly always is. So, chin up, will work this out
;-)

Regards,

	Andree

PS: Just as I said before, you should really keep the diskussion on the
list to get as many people involved as possible, so I think it would be
a good idea to resend your mail to me to the list, too.

--
                     | Institute of Geophysics   phone: +49 40 4123 4389
 ANDREE LEIDENFROST  | University of Hamburg       fax: +49 40 4123 5441
    Geophysicist     | Bundesstrasse 55      e-mail: leidenfrost@dkrz.de