Re: Can dpkg Repair Damaged Packages?

> Hi,
>
> A client had a terrible disk problem on their /usr partition resulting
> in a number of hosed files (e.g., /usr/include/ctype.h was now a
> HOWTO.)
>
> Is there a way to tell the system to check all files belonging to all
> packages and tell me which are damaged?  If it could then reinstall
> those packages that would be great.  I reinstalled all packages I
> noticed had corrupt files, but I'm sure I missed some.
>
> Such functionality would be useful.

Klee Dienes <klee@mit.edu> has a package called dpkgcert that really
helped me out - it examines every file in you system, and points out
which ones differ from ones supplied in packages.

Unfortunately, it needs a database of "certificates" that contain the
per-file MD5 sums of all the packages (which I got from Klee).  I haven't
heard from him for a while, so I don't know where you can get the
certificates.

On a related note - I discovered that my disk corruption was happening
because I had LBA and 32-bit modes (or something like that) enabled
in my system BIOS.  Gradually, over time, files would get corrupted
like you mentioned.  After learning on debian-user that this causes
problems for some people, I turned the options off, and I haven't
had any disk corruption since.  This should probably be a FAQ
somewhere - but I don't understand it myself.

Cheers,

 - Jim