Re: DSELECT question

On Jun 3, Alexander Stavitsky wrote
> On Tue, 3 Jun 1997, Andy Mortimer wrote:
>
> > On Jun 3, Fredrik Ax wrote
> > > I agree with you that it is a bit irretating that deselect scans for ALL
> > > pakages ... I can see that it's done for consistency reasons, BUT it would
> > > be great if there was a switch to turn this off.
> >
> > I'm afraid you've got slightly the wrong end of the stick. ;) Using the
> > default methods, dselect scans through all *files* under the tree you
> > point it at, and for each one checks to see if it needs installing. There
>
> No,  what I have experienced is dselect trying to find all files mentioned
> in Packages and stop at the point where the package is missing. I'll try
> it again with when I have time and report if it is really happens.

What access method are you using? (ISTR you saying one of the default
methods, but otherwise you can ignore this :) I've just had a look, and
they quite definitely use the command `dpkg -iGROEB <mountpoint>'. If you
like, you can try this on a subtree with the command:

dpkg -iGROEB /nfs-imports/debian1/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/admin

or whatever it is on your machine; you will then find that only the
packages in the admin directory are looked at.

&E

--
Andy Mortimer, andy.mortimer@poboxes.com
http://www.poboxes.com/andy.mortimer