Re: Kernel recompile affects X display left-shift?

I've noticed the same thing.  It only happens when I use X in bpp 16 mode.
 If I use the standard bpp 8 mode the screen does not shift.  I know there
are commands to use in the config files to adjust this, but not off hand.
I just leave it adjusted for X and forget it.

Is it possible that the other kernel you're talking about boots a
different XF86Config file in standard mode while your normal kernel uses
your config files?

On 07-Apr-97 Nathan O. Siemers wrote:
>"A. M. Varon" <andre@lasaltech.lasaltech.com> writes:
>
>> On Sun, 6 Apr 1997, Nathan O. Siemers wrote:
>>
>> > Is there anything in a kernel recompile that would affect how XFree
>> > performs? I have an AST ascentia laptop, 800x600 screen. The default
>> > debian kernel gives an X display that is shifted about 30 pixels to
>> > the right.  Some of my early recompiles (boot floppies) spontaneously
>> > fixed this problem.  Now I cannot reproduce the recompile conditions
>>
>> Not that i can think of. This could be the reasons why it happens:
>>
>> 1. You move the left or right knob of the display screen. (It happens!)
>
>Don't think so. :)
>
>> 2. You run xf86config command, and you changed the settings.
>
>The thing is, I can pop in a different kernel boot disk and it changes
>the horizontal shift of the screen, without me touching any X
>settings. xvidtune (and a change to XF86Config) *has* allowed me to
>shift the offending screen of the offending kernels, but I am still
>perplexed as to how this can happen.  Perhaps it is a bug I should
>ignore?
>

>> If it's no.2, then run xvidtune in an xterm window. That will correct
the
>> shifting of the screen temporarily. If you want it more permanent, then
>> contact me for more details.
>
>nathan
>

>>                  =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>>                  Andre M. Varon         Lasaltech, Incorported
>>                  Technical Head         Fax-Tel: (034)433-3520
>>                  e-mail  : andre@lasaltech.com
>>                  web page: http://www.lasaltech.com/andre.html
>>

>--
>Nathan Siemers - Department of Bioinformatics
>Bristol-Myers Squibb Pharmaceutical Research Institute
>K14-06, P.O. Box 4000, Princeton, NJ 08543-4000; (609) 252-6568

Have a good one.

Rick Jones              E-Mail: Rick <rickya@siservices.net>