Logging users off..

Hi all!

I was wondering if Debian has any admin programs that would allow
root to log off a user and kill off all of their processes?
We have tried simple scripts which would do a kill on all user
processes.  Unfortunately this has given some other problems
with not always logging the user off properly in the utmp
file and not always getting xdm to pop the login screen back
on the console.

Cheers!
Richard..