no wildcards from command line

Hey there everyone,

For some reason, I am not able to use any wildcards from the command
line in Debian.  I am meaning things like 'ls *', and other assorted
wildcards.  Is there some package I did not install that this should be
in?  It seems odd that I have the ability to use the ls, cp, rm, etc.
commands without the wildcard available.  If anyone could help me out
with this, I would greatly appreciate it.  Without it, I can't really do
anything, at least involving file and directory manipulation.

Thanks in advance,

Rob Hanson
hansonra@eosc.osshe.edu