Re: Debian LInux

Hi Mark --
You asked:

> When using dselect, do I have to download from the ftp site, packages or are
> they on the install disks ?
The install disks only contain enough software to set up your system
so that it is *capable* of being used to fetch the major packages.

All tolled, the Debian software packages take up several hundred MBytes.
They can't fit onto floppy disks.  (Of course, you don't have to install
all of the files -- just the ones you need for your purposes.)

> The programs that I am interested in are the XFree86, Emacs and Latex
> including software to access the net.
The programs you need for XFree86 are in the Debian FTP archive, in
the directory stable/binary/x11.
The programs you need for Emacs are in the Debian FTP archive, in
the directory stable/binary/editors.
The programs you need for Latex are in the Debian FTP archive, in
the directory stable/binary/tex.  You may also be interested in the files
in stable/binary/text.
Programs to access the net are mostly in stable/binary/net.

> I can not find any man pages.
'man' and the 'manpages' are additional large packages.  They are in
stable/binary/doc at the Debian FTP archives.

See http://www.debian.org/FAQ

> Does the install contain a list of commands for Linux ?
I don't know what this question means.
The installation disks boot up, then present the user with a dialog to
help guide him through setting up the disk partitions, formatting the
disk, then setting up the basic directories.  It then guides the
user through the installation of the very basic Unix-like tools which
are on the base disks into his newly-made Linux system.

> While installing Debian 1.1 when it came to loading and configuring modules
> to place in the kernal there where a few things I did not understand .
>
> 1. Under Fsystem/smbfs involved a Windows 95 Sharing . What is this ?
smbfs is a file system for sharing data and directories with other
computers running Windows.

> 2. Under Vfat there was a driver ( I guess ) that you could install  for
> Windows 95 long file names under       DOS. What is this ?
Windows 95 allows the usr to (think he can) use file names longer than
8 characters, a dot, and a 3-character extension.  (Actually, windows
translates the filenames to shorter, MS-DOS compatible filenames for use
by the DOS filesystem, but the user is in general unaware of that.)
The vfat driver allows a Linux user to use Windows-95 style file names
in accessing file on a Win95 drive on his Linux system.

Good luck,
Susan Kleinmann