Re: catch 22?

In article <[🔎] XFMail.960806223514.wb2oyc@cyberenet.net>,
	wb2oyc@cyberenet.net writes:
>I've managed to get myself in a catch-22 kind of dilemma.  In an effort
>to get a working 2.0.0 kernel with the proper options to support IP
>masquerading, somehow or other both my kernel-image and kernel-source
>packages have gotten to a state where I'm stuck fast!  I cannot
>successfully build a kernel at this point, and I can't remove or reinstall
>either of the packages.  Attempting to reinstall results in errors
>during the prerem or postrem scripts for both the source and image
>package.  Attempting to remove, errors with a recommendation to reinstall
>(which fails of course!--hence the dilemma) before attempting to remove!
>I am stuck in that proverbial hard place.............

I had the same problem with a virgin Debian 1.1 installation.  I
investigated and found that the kernel-image/kernel-source postinst
and prerm scripts reference "#! /bin/perl".

However, on my virgin Debian 1.1 installation, there was no
symlink from /bin/perl to /usr/bin/perl!  I manually created the
symlink and that fixed the problem.

I've been meaning to report this as a bug - but I haven't figured out
how to do that yet...

- Jim