Re: DEBIAN Linux on floppy disks

>>>>> Andreas Kerzmann <anker@mpi-sb.mpg.de> writes:

>> >>>>> "Steve" == Steve Preston <steve@eowyn.gte.com> writes:

Steve> You need to 'split' the .deb files that are too big.  This
Steve> requires dpkg-split, but I am not aware of a WIN95 version of
Steve> this.  If you created a (relatively minimal) linux partition on
Steve> your cdrom machine, then you could split the .deb files and
Steve> copy them to floppies.

>> Maybe it's easier to find a MSDOS port of GNU tar and then tar the
>> required packages on multiple volumes which are then transferrable to
>> the laptop.
>>

> What about setting up a serial link between the Win-PC and the laptop?
> I honestly do not know wether Win95 likes serial links, but I definitly
> know that my old 286 running DOS 6.0 is even able to export nfs over
> serial line. I suggest using a zmodem protocol or something similar.
> Any ideas?

I think the 'tar' idea has the best chance of succeeding.  The serial
link idea would require less physical effort (I put almost all the
.deb files under 'unstable' onto floppies; it took over 80), but you'd
have to get either slip, ppp or something up between Win95 and linux.
I don't know if the kernel and utilities on the debian boot/root disks
are capable of slip or ppp, so you may have to install a few packages
before it would be feasible.  Probably all the packages you need for
this would fit on floppies though.

--
Steve Preston (spreston@gte.com)