ATAPI IDE CDROMS (sorry for yelling :-)

    Emile>     I am having a problem accessing my Mitsumi CD-ROM.  I
    Emile> tried using the Debian boot disk with Linux 1.2.xx on it
    Emile> and it didn't find this ATAPI drive.  I need a newer kernel

I am sorry I have not followed up on this earlier. I have become
reluctant to comment on Linux issues due to the uncertainty
introduced by the wide variety of hardware.

My basic comment is that I am able to access my Mitsumi CDROM without
problem on a *custom* 1.2.13 kernel.  I could not with the generic 1.2.1
kernel I used previously. I assume it was not compiled in.

The relevant "make config" questions
----------------------------
root@scooter:/usr/src/linux ->make config
rm -f include/asm
( cd include ; ln -sf asm-i386 asm)
/bin/sh Configure arch/i386/config.in
*
* General setup
*
Kernel math emulation (CONFIG_MATH_EMULATION) [y]
Normal floppy disk support (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD) [y]
Normal (MFM/RLL) disk and IDE disk/cdrom support (CONFIG_ST506) [y]
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
*
* Please see drivers/block/README.ide for help/info on IDE drives
*
   Use old disk-only driver for primary i/f (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD) [n]
   Use new IDE driver for primary/secondary i/f (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE) [y]
   Include support for IDE/ATAPI CDROMs (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD) [n] y
XT harddisk support (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_XD) [n]
[blah blah blah....]

My impression is that people think that 1.3.30 is the only way to
go. This is not true.

There are most certainly other factors involved for some people to go
to 1.3.30, but I had to say something when I saw this reference to a
Mitsumi CDROM.

Just an FYI if compiling a kernel is an option for you.

	huntah