Re: Encountering Debian distribution

> Is there a FAQ?
Yes. For now it's available via WWW at
http://www.wi.leidenuniv.nl/~jdassen/debian-faq_toc.html
General Debian information is available at http://www.debian.org/

> When the CD
> available is from FSF or elsewhere, will it support big EIDE drives?

Yes. Debian uses the most up to date "stable" kernel; the Hardware
HowTo states:
"Large IDE (EIDE) drives work fine with newer kernels. The boot partition
must lie in the first 1024 cylinders due to PC BIOS limitations."

> Will "IDE" CD drives be supported (this was one area where I had so
> much trouble with the other distributions, I have a new DELL XMT,
> maybe too new)?

EIDE (ATAPI) CD-ROM drives are supported by the kernel, so, most likely,
yes.

> I'll probably download or get the InfoMagic disks for
> the complete .93 distribution, and finish installing it from a DOS
> partition; should I instead wait for the real release?

Debian is aimed at upgradability at the package level, so upgrading
when the real release comes out should be easy.

> Is
> the documentation available in TeXinfo format for printing?

Only to the developers as for now: the documentation is still draft.
You can read it at http://www.debian.org/Documentation/

> Is the absence of MAN on the basedisk installation a bug that I should
> attempt to report formally?

No. The base disks provide the minimal Linux system on which all
packages rely. Man is not present on the base disks, since it is not
necessary to install packages.

Hope this helps,
Ray
--
LEADERSHIP  A form of self-preservation exhibited by people with auto-
destructive imaginations in order to ensure that when it comes to the crunch