[Debian]: 10% of the packages don't install when first time.

Hi folks,

when installing debian packages from a rather fresh CD I get strange
errors in about 10% of sll packages. See examples below.

They occur when the file whixh the symlink points to does not yet exist.
That seems to be the case if that file apears after the symlink pointing
to it in the archive (check dpkg --contents) and the pack was never
installed before.

I can help me out if I touch (and generate) the file the link points to
and dpkg -i   it again. Bit e.g. in manpages-dev there are hundrets of
these links and each time installation stops after the first error.

I had to extract that package and copy them by hand to their directories
and then dpkg -i  once again to get the database updated.

What causes these effects? I never saw such in former Debian relaeases.

Selecting previously deselected package scwm.
Unpacking scwm (from scwm_0.5-4.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing scwm_0.5-4.deb (--install):
 error setting ownership of symlink
sr/X11R6/lib/X11/scwm/system.scwm/settings': No such file or directory
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)

Selecting previously deselected package xbanner.
Preparing to replace xbanner 1.31-3 (using xbanner_1.31-13.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement xbanner ...
dpkg: error processing xbanner_1.31-13.deb (--install):
 error setting ownership of symlink sr/X11R6/man/man1/freetemp.1x.gz': No
such file or directory
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)

Selecting previously deselected package xbase.
Preparing to replace xbase 3.3-3 (using xbase_3.3.1-2.deb) ...
xdm and xfs not running, continuing with xbase installation.
Unpacking replacement xbase ...
dpkg: error processing xbase_3.3.1-2.deb (--install):
 error setting ownership of symlink sr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc': No
such file or directory
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)

Bernd Harries

bharries@freeyellow.com  http://www.freeyellow.com/members/bharries
bharries@vossnet.de      Tel.: +49 421 809 7351  priv. | Linux-m68k
harries@atlas.de               +49 421 457 3966  offi. | Medusa T40