Re: Debian maintenance of my GNU packages

On 02/16/2012 12:21 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Mi, 15 feb 12, 20:09:34, Christian Grothoff wrote:

Even against the 'experimental' versions of the packages, no bug
reports have been filed.  We used to have a great relationship with
our Debian maintainer (Daniel Baumann), but he has been quite
inactive recently and/or only uploaded packages to 'experimental'.

Did you try to contact him (Daniel) about this?

Repatedly, but only after my mailing today he seems to have gotten back into action a bit.

Would it be possible for some of you to help out and ensure that
package updates happen in a somewhat timely fashion and are placed
into the appropriate group (stable code does not belong into
experimental) based on technical merit?

"experimental" is a bit of a misnomer. Especially in recent release
cycles packagers have used experimental for stable code for various
reasons, like staging (more or less complicated) transitions.

Daniel said that uploading MHD to 'unstable' would have required "recompiling" gnunet. I'm not sure how that qualifies as a complicated transition, but I'm not a DD.

BTW, as far as I can see gnunet depends on both libextractor and
libmicrohttpd. It might be that Daniel is preparing them to be uploaded
to unstable together, so that they have a smooth transition to testing
;)

That's what Daniel told me about an hour ago -- and that he's now planning on doing a GNUnet upload (yet again to experimental...) tomorrow. I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed for now.

Happy hacking,

Christian