Re: teTeX and TeX Live interoperability

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 18:26 +0000, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 05:01:49PM +0100, Frank K?ster wrote:
> > Namewise, I'd rather say /usr/share/texmf is TEXMFMAIN, and
> > /usr/share/texmf-teTeX is TEXMFDIST_TETEX.

ACK. TEXMFMAIN and TEXMFDIST would probably be best.

> There might still be a
> > problem with the order of trees:  In upstream teTex, it is
> >
> > ...,!!$TEXMFMAIN,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFDIST
> >
> > But in order for TEXMFLOCAL to be able to shadow files installed with a
> > Debian package, either Debian packages have to install in one of the
> > TEXMFDIST trees, or we must keep on swapping MAIN and LOCAL.

I would prefer the latter approach.

> Several comments:
>
> (1) Order is important: which of teTeX and texlive do we wish to take
>     precedence?  Most relevant is probably: which is more likely to be
>     more recent?

In most cases, I would expect TeX Live to be more recent. From that
point of view, searching the TeX Live tree before the teTeX tree would
make sense. However, one could also use a more conservative approach, in
which TeX Live is only used to provide additional files for teTeX, not
for updating files in teTeX.

>     This could be a debconf question, but then that would likely mess
>     up config file handling :/.  Maybe just go with a default with
>     instructions on how to change it, or a debconf note, or - I don't
>     know what!
>
> (2) Use of TEXMFDIST
>
>     (Incidentally, why have we got TEXMFDIST=$TEXMFMAIN in our default
>     texmf.cnf?  That might cause two lookups if a file isn't in
>     TEXMFMAIN.  Why not just comment it out everywhere it appears, and
>     list those variables which will need to be changed if TEXMFDIST is
>     set?)

Good question.

>     We can't call a variable TEXMFDIST_TETEX, as _ has a special
>     meaning, but we could call it TEXMFDISTTETEX, TEXMFDISTTEXLIVE.
>
>     Easier, though, would simply be
>     TEXMFDIST=/usr/share/{texmf-teTeX,texmf-texlive}
>     or
>     TEXMFDIST=/usr/share/{texmf-texlive,texmf-teTeX}

That looks pretty good.

> (3) We shouldn't be touching TEXMFLOCAL!  That's for local sysadmins
>     to do (/usr/local/share/texmf is not under Debian control, as per
>     FHS).

ACK.

Meanwhile, I have found one problem with this approach. Even if we would
separate the TEXMF trees, there would still be the configfiles installed
in /etc/texmf. Not sure what would be a good strategie for overlaps
among those files.

cheerio
ralf