Re: Helping to fix some bugs in tetex

On 22.07.03 Frank Küster (frank@kuesterei.ch) wrote:

Hi,

> in the last view days I have looked at a couple of bugs in
> tetex-base, willing to help you fixing them. Since I'm lazy, I'm
> going to start with the most easy ones - some of them so
> unimportant that nobody has ever responded to the bug reports (or
> bothered to lower the severity).
>
> I have some questions how I should act in order not to cause you
> unnecessary work.
>
> - Some bugs are clearly to be forwarded to upstream, or even to the
>   individual package authors. Should I give you a list of that, or
>   do you prefer that I do a "non-maintainer tagging" and forward it
>   myself (note that I'm not a Debian developer)?

I'm not a developer either. Nevertheless you might have noticed, that
I've forwarded bugs to upstream and even closed some. I'm just
subscribed to debian-tetex-maint. I just can't upload.
If you're strongly convinced that a special bug belongs to upstream,
you should forward it.

> - Some bugs are still open although the responses indicate that they are
>   resolved, e.g. #175839 which ends with

I think I've spoken with Atsuhito about that. The result was: If we
close that and it vanishes from the bug page of tetex-extra, it might
be possible, that few days later anybody comes whining, that
SIunits.sty is included twice. I know that should not happen, cause
everybody should search through the database of closed bugs too,
before submitting a report, especially if he's running stable, but..
as you see in #175839.

> (I found this because in fact it was me who reported 147189). Some
> more of the older ones will probably turn out to be fixed by the
> 2.0 release.

Probably. If you could go through that bugs and could have an eye on
which bugs should be closed actually -- would be nice.

> I assume that there is a reason that these bugs haven't yet been
> closed - probably because you've got more important things to do.

I guess so.

> Would it be o.k. if I give you a list of such bugs and a
> boilerplate mail with my name and adress, so that you can "mass
> close" them and I can defend that?

My personal strategy until now was: write to the original submitter,
convince him, that the bug is fixed and tell him to send an E-Mail
to nnnn-done@g.d.o to close it. Well, that takes a long time, as the
submitters seldom react promptly.

H.
--
The first is to ensure your partner understands that nature has root
privileges - nature doesn't have to make sense.