update breaks tex

Yesterday, I updated my (testing) tetex installation with:
apt-get install tetex-base tetex-bin tetex-doc tetex-eurosym tetex-extra

the installation was incomplete and exited with:
    dpkg: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line 5926 package `tetex-extra':
     empty file details field `MD5sum'

I then tried apt-get --fix-broken, producing the same error

    sanmarco# apt-get --fix-broken install tetex-base tetex-bin tetex-doc tetex-eurosym tetex-extra
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    Sorry, tetex-base is already the newest version.
    Sorry, tetex-bin is already the newest version.
    Sorry, tetex-doc is already the newest version.
    Sorry, tetex-eurosym is already the newest version.
    Sorry, tetex-extra is already the newest version.
    0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 273  not upgraded.
    6 packages not fully installed or removed.
    Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
    dpkg: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line 5926 package `tetex-extra':
     empty file details field `MD5sum'

I tested whether I still have a working tex system with test texexec and
latex commands, both of which failed.

    bash-2.05$ texexec paracols.tex

     TeXExec 2.5 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2001

                   warning : texexec.ini not found, try 'texexec --verbose'

    bash-2.05$ latex sample2e.tex
    This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.3.7)
    I can't find the format file `latex.fmt'!

So, now I have no working tex, unable to get status from dpkg:

    bash-2.05$ dpkg -s tetex-bin
    dpkg: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line 5926 package `tetex-extra':
     empty file details field `MD5sum'
    bash-2.05$ dpkg -l tetex-bin
    dpkg: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line 5926 package `tetex-extra':
     empty file details field `MD5sum'

What should I do? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks,

Tomasz