Re: #debian-tetex is not exactly hopping....

From: "C.M. Connelly" <c@eskimo.com>
Subject: Re: #debian-tetex is not exactly hopping....
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 10:35:54 -0700

> "AB"  == Adrian Bunk <bunk@fs.tum.de>
> "CMC" == "C.M. Connelly" <c@eskimo.com>
>
>     AB> There are currently two possibilities:
>
>     AB> - We try to find another time to meet in IRC.
>
> Okay, if necessary -- I'm not sure how much gets done on IRC
> versus e-mail.  What might be useful for everyone on the list
> would be if you could share a summary of the IRC session with the
> list.  (If you send me a transcript, I'll summarize it and post it
> to the list.)

It is nice if we can read the summary of IRC discussion.

>     AB> - We communicate through the WikiWeb and tetex.debian.net.

(snip)
> another -- if the descision was worked out on a dynamic webpage
> that's now long gone, they'll have no way to find out; if the
> discussion took place on the list, it will (presumably) still be
> available in the archive.

I agree with this.  The archive is very useful for all of us.

> Also -- any thoughts on creating some sort of tetex-update package
> with newer LaTeX packages.  I know that Atsuhito Kohda does
> something similar for debian-jp (with the newer LaTeX); maybe we
> could just include the newer packages, and not duplicate packages
> already in tetex-base or tetex-extra, which would make
> tetex-update smaller and less of a hassle to download.  I have
> more thoughts on this (as, I suspect, does Atsuhito -- we talked
> about it on the list last year).

Well, yes, I maintain the latest LaTeX(, AMSLaTeX, PSNFSS and
Tools bundle) at present for Debian JP.  But, as you can guess,
since they are not official Debian packages yet, I do not intend
to make packages completely without problem.

It basically needs users efforts to check which of LaTeX (of teTeX
or of my LaTeX package) is newer.

# But as far as I know, since I started maintaining the latest
# LaTeX it is always newer than that of teTeX.
# At present, LaTeX of teTeX is of 1999/12/01 and mine is
# of 2000/06/01

I think if Debian think of tetex-update or similar then it
should be more sofisticated.

> No problem -- I was pissed at first, but then I realized what had
> happened.  I guess that's one of the hazards of having a worldwide
> organization.  At least I got my comments on the bugs.

BTW, I attended the meeting at 8am GMT on 30 May (though only
about an hour) and was waiting for you to attend ;-)

Best Regards,		       2001.6.1

 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp>
 Department of Math., Tokushima Univ.