/etc/login.defs NONEXISTENT causes spurious warning

I'm running debian bookworm and see the following two warnings generated

configuration error - unknown item 'NONEXISTENT' (notify administrator)
configuration error - unknown item 'PREVENT_NO_AUTH' (notify administrator)

I can see that the file /etc/login.defs has the entry NONEXISTENT set to /nonexistent. If I remove this the warnings disappears. Why is this one set? Is it some incompatibility with passwd/shadow packages here?

Thanks,
Kenth