Re: GRUB can't be installed during NET-INSTALL

I had an apparently similar / related problem:

I upgraded a woody system with hardware raid:
0000:02:0b.1 RAID bus controller: Mylex Corporation AcceleRAID
352/170/160 support Device (rev 02)

the upgrade itself went fine, but when I tried to reboot into the new
kernel, I found that lilo still showed the old boot menu, providing just
the old kernels. I installed grub.

After this the system became unbootable: apparently grub had messed up
the boot record and put something like

kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.8-2-386 root=/dev/hdaX ro

in the menue.lst

The system had to be installed from scratch.

I finally succeded by installing Sarge in expert26-mode and installed
grub on floppy disk.

Afterwards, taking care of grub's configuration files, I managed to
install it on the Raid array.

My grub.lst contains the crucial lines:

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.8-2-386
root            (hd0,0)
kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.8-2-386 root=/dev/rd/c0d0p4 ro
initrd          /initrd.img-2.6.8-2-386
savedefault
boot

I hope this helps, and hope that someone might look after what goes
wrong with grub. It cost me a whole night, just to get our server
running again. I consider this a serious bug.

Regards,
Johannes